jueves, 16 de enero de 2014

Review of And We Stay by Jenny Hubbard

And We Stay


by Jenny Hubbard


And We Stay

Genres: Young Adult, Contemporany

Expected publication: January 28th 2014 by Delacorte Press

When high school senior Paul Wagoner walks into his school library with a stolen gun, he threatens his girlfriend Emily Beam, then takes his own life. In the wake of the tragedy, an angry and guilt-ridden Emily is shipped off to boarding school in Amherst, Massachusetts, where she encounters a ghostly presence who shares her name. The spirit of Emily Dickinson and two quirky girls offer helping hands, but it is up to Emily to heal her own damaged self.

This inventive story, told in verse and in prose, paints the aftermath of tragedy as a landscape where there is good behind the bad, hope inside the despair, and springtime under the snow

4d7ab-addtogoodreadsblack



AMAZON   B&N   KOBO


My Review


This book is the first of my literary journey of challenges.


This book came into my hands through an ARC for your honest review, I was attracted the synopsis, and at this point I want to clarify that I have not read any book of Emily Dickinson, perhaps find a book on it for next reading, she in my opinion is more a reference to his fans and to connect the story of the protagonist with his taste for poetry, yet I think it was positive this first book  in my challenge.


The book shows us a part of the life of Emily Beam, where love, good or bad decisions, an age that is passed from childhood to adulthood, and a particular mixture with a literary character somehow make the story be strong, intense and interesting.


This is one of those books that I think will divide opinion a lot of people, on the one hand we have a strong emotional charge, and it's something I liked about the book, the poetry that was in each chapter was a big part of the history of Emily Beans and which ties in nicely. But on the other hand we have the story being told, ok, this part I was confused, first I could connect with the story and and at times the connection was blocked by something. Nor I define that  spent with that.


The characters are defined to some extent it easy to relate to the story of the main protagonist, the factors, the poems, the suicide of her boyfriend and several intense moments are very well managed, in the part of the suicide of her boyfriend I want to clarify that there  one more story  than you think, and although it clarifies why, maybe have a little doubt, but at some point I would think it is the fact age and time of momentum  and the confusing burden of emotions of the fact that make of  it that Paul commits suicide.


The story is interesting, and with very current issues that blend well with today's society, is subtle and strong, though perhaps I insist on some points that you feel disconnected from the story and Reloading. If you love poetry, you'll love it, I think it's the strong point of the author, and if you find a story told differently is a good choice for discovering your favorite type of reading.


Personally, I liked the story and I loved the poetry,The reading was for  mid-afternoon, with a touch of winter and a hot chocolate.



AllyCat


retos2014

1 comentario:

  1. […] Twitter Facebook RSS Feed ← BookBlitz of A Date of Godlike Proportions by Tellulah Darling Review of And We Stay by Jenny Hubbard → […]

    ResponderEliminar